Friday, September 08, 2006

bushings are a bitch

The front suspension on this car is a strut type with a lower arm. I am replacing all of the rubber and joints in the front suspension. The front "A" arm bushing is a royal bitch to get out, but thanks to a little ingenuity, not as bad going in. The bushing if force fit into a metal sleeve and removing the bushing without damaging the sleeve was a little tricky. Since it is hard rubber I ended up using a drill and putting a half dozen or so holes into rubber. After enough holes were in there, I was able to start rotating the whole bushing. Then came the fun part, beating the hell out of it with a hammer until the bushing was most of the way out, then a few good twists and out it popped. I was so glad to get it out after drilling and twisting and beating for the better part of an hour that I just had to laugh at myself when I pulled out the new one and realized that it had the same problem only in reverse. The new bushing as the old one did, has a lip at either end preventing it from just coming out. This also prevents it from going in.....
A gear puller, a can of WD40 and 5 minutes later it's all over.

2 Comments:

Blogger Have Myelin? said...

So that's why I can't get you to paint the bedroom!

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. This is very nice one and gives in depth information.
--------------------------
My website: Online poker bonus

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home